Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Missionary fun and what happens when your companion gets sick

ALOHA EVERYBODY!!!
 
Honestly, this week is a bit of a blur! I don't even know what happened!!
 
Well on Monday we had a really awesome P-Day with the whole zone and then after we had a Specialized Training Meeting with the Zone Leaders. I feel so blessed because I feel like I've had the opportunity to be trained by some of the best missionaries in this mission, and maybe even the whole world! Our ZLs right now are just phenomenal and they gave an amazing training on how to communicate better with investigators, which was perfect because I really needed the social skills!
 
So Sis. P and I got super pumped up to go out and baptize the world and then... she got sick. From Tuesday through Saturday. It was pretty miserable for her (well both of us really) but I still think the Lord was trying to teach me something. I was freaking out a little bit because of the appointments that we had to cancel and whatnot, but over and over again this thought kept coming to my mind "Be still and know that I am God". I've been trying to increasingly put things into the Lord's hands, which is a little difficult for someone like me who just wants to pridefully control everything, but based on all of my experiences from my mission the Lord micromanages this work. He delegates some things to us, but by and large He is in control. It's like it says in 1 Corinthinas 3:6-7: "I haveplanted, Apollos watered; but God gave‍ the increase. So then neither is hethat planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth theincrease." Our job is to work as hard as we can, then step back and let God give the increase.
 
And now, to break up the text, I will insert a picture from a sunset this week:
 
 
Anyways, on Sunday Sis. P wasn't feeling 100% better yet, but we went to church anyways because we were both speaking. The bishop wanted us to give a talk on missionary work, and while I was preparing I found this scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 33:
 
"Yea, verily, verily, I say unto you, that the field is white already to harvest; wherefore, thrust in your sickles, and reap with all your might, mind, and strength.8 Open your mouths and they shall be filled, and you shall become even as Nephi of old, who journeyed from Jerusalem in the wilderness.
9 Yea, open your mouths and spare not, and you shall be laden with sheaves upon your backs, for lo, I am with you.
10 Yea, open your mouths and they shall be filled, saying: Repent, repent, and prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
There's a couple of things that I loved about that: first, the Lord tells us that if we open our mouths to talk about the gospel we'll be like Nephi. How cool is that?!? Second, in verse 9 the Lord says, "I am with you". I definitely feel the presence of the Lord most when I do missionary work, because it's literally the Lord's work.
Then later on Sunday we visisted this less active/part member family. The mom speaks English, but the dad only speaks Spanish. Score!!! So we went over there and I spoke to him in Spanish and he wants us to come over and teach his whole family!! Basically I'm really excited because I think he's the ONLY Spanish speaking person in all of Choctaw!
And then yesterday we had a lovely Memorial Day. The elders got together a bunch of investigators and youth and we played sports at the church (my face got in the way of an elder's soccer ball at one point but other than that it was fun. Don't worry I'm not all mangled now.) then we just chilled and played ping pong and went to a barbeque at a member's house and visited with the less active couple that came to church a couple of weeks ago! So even though last week was a little rough and we weren't able to do much, this week is going to be AMAZING!!
I love you all! Sorry I don't have more pictures, but I don't think pictures of my sick companion and me would be very appealing.
Con carino,
Sister Holloway
PS: Here's the video for the week! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment