Thursday, May 22, 2014

Getting lost, baptisms, service and seeking Spanish speakers in Harrah

Aloha everybody!
 
This week was CRAZY. (But I'm pretty sure I have that disclaimer every week...) Here are some of the highlights:
 
#1: We got lost in the city! Again! (I basically don't have very much experience driving to the city/on the freeway so every time we go to the city it's a nightmare. One of these days I will get it!) On Wednesday we had to go to Moore (home base for the mission) for a new missionary meeting. Because we were already going to be in OKC we decided that right after the meeting we'd go to the bike shop because Sis. Peterson's bike ended up being to big for her (she's a wee one, just 4'10"!) and there were very kindly going to let us trade it in. Well, we got to Moore and realized that we'd forgotten her bike at home. Fail. So we talked to President and he generously granted us miles to go home, get the bike, and go to the bike shop. We successfully accomplished this, it just took a long time. At least we saw more of OKC and I got some freeway driving experience! :)
 
#2: We set baptismal dates for the girls that we're teaching! June 21st! The only issue with that is that we don't want them to get baptized and then go inactive because their mom isn't super active right now. So next lesson we're going to put the beef on the table and let her know how important it is for her to support the girls with her example. Odessa and Tana are so excited though. When we asked when they wanted to get baptized they just said "as soon as possible!"
 
#3: We were able to go with the Elder's Quorum to help Sis. Collett get her stuff moved in! And then she came to church and stayed all 3 hours! She really appreciated the help, and I get the feeling that we're going to be over there quite a bit because she signed up to feed us twice, still needs service in her house, and is willing to teach us how to quilt and crochet on P-Day! She's pretty much the best.
 
#4: THERE'S A GUATEMALAN MAN THAT'S MARRIED TO A MEMBER OF THE WARD!!!! I still haven't met him, but I LOVE GUATEMALANS and he's someone that I can speak Spanish to! Plus he hasn't be baptized yet, so it's something to work on!
 
Other than that... we're going to be focusing on finding new investigators this week and hopefully the investigators that we do have stop cancelling on us! Silly flaky people :).
 
I was reading in the gospel of Luke (chapter 12today and there was a parable there that really grabbed my attention:
 16 And he spake parable unto them, saying, The ground of certain rich manbrought forth plentifully:
 17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall do, because have no roomwhere to bestow my fruits?
 18 And he said, This will do: will pull down my barns, and build greater; andthere will bestow all my fruits and my goods.
 19 And will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years;take thine ease, eat, drink, and‍ be merry.
 20 But God said unto him, Thou‍ fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee:then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
 21 So is‍ he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
I kind of take this as a warning for myself personally. I have had a lot of spiritual experiences and rendered a lot of service to my God. However, by no stretch of the imagination am I "done" with service. Even though I was baptized, graduated from seminary, received the ordinances of the temple, and successfully completed 8 months of missionary service I still have a LONG way to go. Progression should never stop. Spiritual progression especially should never stop. I think that complacency is the most powerful tool the Adversary has to try to stop the work of the Lord. Even if he can't get good people to do bad things, if he can stop good people from doing good things then he has won. "Therefore, fear not, little flock; dogood; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, theycannot prevail." (D&C 6:34)
Love you all! Have a lovely week!!
~Sister Holloway


So I've been kind of a fail at taking pictures lately, but this is an ok picture of a really beautiful moonrise that we saw as we were driving home one night this week. Harrah is gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment