Monday, April 7, 2014

Primeramente Dios

HOWDY! 
Well this week was pretty darn amazing! I think I'll just cut to the chase and talk about some of the highlights that happened:
HIGHLIGHT #1:
I got artwork from children in the mail!!!!! Nothing makes my day like pictures from kids. Now they're hanging by my desk, right next to the mustache picture from Hna. Lemke!

Inline image 1
HIGHLIGHT #2:
It was Cody's birthday!!!! So we made him a rainbow tres leches cake because we could. After we finished we realized that it was really girly... and most people do not decorate cakes with broccoli (broccoli is his favorite vegetable) but we knew he'd like it anyways.
Inline image 2
Here's the finished product! See the "special features" portion of this update for pictures on making this masterpiece.
HIGHLIGHT #3:
We did a ton of service this week! I don't have any pictures, but we walked dogs, washed windows, planted flowers, and pulled weeds for more hours than any sane human being would want. But service is the best! You get to wear pants and be outside and help others with things that they need. Seriously, if you're ever feeling down, go out and do some service.
HIGHLIGHT #4:
General Conference!! It was amazing for 2 reasons:
First, because the messages were really great and inspiring and answered my prayers as they always do. I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk about using gratitude to overcome our trials. I think that's so true! It is so much better to have a positive attitude through the tough times and gratitude for what we do have rather than focusing on what we lack. Attitude makes all the difference! Be sure to watch conference here if you haven't already!
Second, because we had Mary there! I don't think I spent enough time talking about how amazing she is last week. SHE'S BASICALLY THE MOST AMAZING PERSON I'VE EVER MET!! Last week she didn't come to church because her little granddaughter was sick, but this week she came to the Sunday Morning session of conference with 7 kids under the age of 7 and one 12 year old. As you can imagine, it was pretty crazy. There is no possible way that they could sit still for 2 hours, so Hermana Loveland and I commandeered some toys from the nursery and went back into to overflow with Mary and the munchkins. Luckily we were able to get the Spanish translation from Salt Lake (which is much better than mine!) so we entertained the ninos while Mary and Laura (the 12 year old) listened to conference across the room. They were all very well-behaved (with one exception)and were content to play quietly. As a result, I didn't hear much of that session, but we thought it was much more important for Mary to hear it. She loved it too and wants to come back to church again! Her one worry was that we wouldn't let her back with her crazy kids but we'll have primary from here on out so that'll be no problem! She's just so incredible. She's so humble and believing and loving. Her motto is"Primeramente Dios", which means "God first". And she lives it too! Never once has she complained about taking care of her daughter's kids as well as her own or the inconvenience or burden that they could be. Instead, she focuses on their needs before her own and loves them unconditionally. I really think that I'm learning more from her than she's learning from me.
Anyways, all is well in Oklahoma land. I hope you all have a lovely lovely week and that you can readily recognize the Lord's hand in your life. And if you haven't yet, 
WATCH GENERAL CONFERENCE!
Love,
Hermana Holloway
PS: last Sunday my comp and I dressed like this without even planning
Inline image 3
Love this!

No comments:

Post a Comment