Monday, February 10, 2014

LDS Missions: Awkward and Fun!

AlOoOoHaAaA!!!!!!
So I thought I'd begin this email by addressing a subject that I haven't dared to address yet:
MISSIONARIES ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY AWKWARD!!!!!!!
For us, normal moments are awkward and awkward moments are SUPER DE DOOPER AWKWARD. It's just a fact. Like when you knock on a door and you expect that you knocked on a former investigator's house but instead it turns out that you knocked on the door of someone that you've had nothing but awkward encounters with. Or when you go to sit on your investigator's couch and you sit on their yappy dog. Awkward. Or, how about  EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TRY TO MAKE SMALL TALK IN SPANISH! I mean, I'm pretty bad at small talk in general. That's normal. But when you go into a Spanish person's house and they're blasting Univision and staring at the TV so they can avoid talking to you and you try to make small talk with them... it's pretty bad. And AWKWARD. Most of the time we go into situations knowing that it will be awkward, and we just say "oh well!" and we do it anyways. So if you ever see a missionary being awkward, don't think they're weird. They have no control over the situation.
(I don't know how to make this not double spaced and it's not worth my time... So sorry.)But anyways, enough of that.
Last P-Day we went to the Route 66 Museum in Elk city, and it was loads of fun! Here's the district on this old train car thing:



And then on Wednesday we had transfers! I had to say good-bye to my comp and my District Leader, but I got Hermana Loveland!


(this is transfers. It was really cold and windy, so we didn't mingle in the parking lot for as long as we usually do)
The only bad thing is Hermana Loveland left her voice in Enid... when she came here she could barely whisper. So first she asked the advice of another elder in our district...


... He recommended salsa and jelly on toast. It's not actually as bad as it sounds. But it didn't get her voice back. Then we consulted a member who was a doctor, and he said we'd just have to wait. So we did and it finally came back on Saturday!
We had a great church tour with our Baptist preacher investigator, and he felt the Spirit a lot. Cody is still progressing and is making friends with a lot of the members. We brought him over to a member's house for a lesson on Saturday and then they invited him over for dinner Sunday! What champs.
Then Sunday came. And the roads were covered with black ice. And they cancelled church (nooooooooooo!!!). I was pretty upset because church is like a refuge. The rest of the week is just CRAZY, but at church you know you'll feel the Spirit and be uplifted. So not being able to go was no bueno. Then on top of that cars were grounded, so we'd have to walk. We really didn't want to because it was cold so we stayed in the apartment and I murmured a bit about the weather and our cars and basically had a huge lack of faith. Then finally we left and put our trust in God. Literally a block away from our apartment we met this guy that wants us to come over and teach him, and my faith was strengthened. Later on we saw so many more miracles that I just knew that God was in control so why should I murmur? Have faith, and everything will work out.
Well that's all I have time for. I hope you all have a loverly week and if I fail to respond to your letters in a while it's not because I hate you or don't want mail. P-Days are just REALLY busy.
Love,
Hermana Holloway
PS: Read 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 and be happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment