Monday, January 13, 2014

Baptisms, Translating and Okie Talkers



ALOHAHOLAHOWDY!!! Well this week has felt mostly like HOWDY!! We haven't been seeing as many Spanish people, but working with this ward has kept us plenty busy!
I guess I'll go in chronological order. Last Monday we played Cranium for P-Day with the district, and the sistas won! Woot woot!



(I'm pretty sure this was during some ridiculous charades thing.)
Then later on in the week things slowed down a little bit so we decided to do a little service by heart attacking the doors of some sisters who could use the cheer. For example:



Adorable!

Then Thursday rolls around and we go to our weekly Bible study as usual. The family that had signed up to feed Elders in Clinton (2) were champs and ended up feeding the Zone Leaders who were there on exchanges (+2), as well as us because we came to Clinton early to see Spanish folk (+2), AND the Elders from El Reno who had to drive all the way out here to interview Cindy for baptism (+2) (the sister that the Clinton Elders had been teaching. The district leader couldn't do it because he taught her, the Zone Leaders also taught her, so they had to get a DL from another district). AND they fed Cody (+1). I think that you can do the math on that.

But that's not even the most exciting part! (though food is generally exciting) That night Cody said to us, "hey sisters, I have a date for you. Can I get baptized on January 18th?" WHAT? OF COURSE YOU CAN GET BAPTIZED ON JANUARY 18TH!!! So we're having a miracle baptism on January 18th! I'm not sure how much y'all remember about Cody, but he's that one guy who randomly came to church the last Sunday in December. Yep. He's getting baptized this week. Craziness!!!
That will also be the second baptism in a row for the Clinton ward, because Cindy (who I mentioned previously) was baptized on Saturday/there was a crazy missionary reunion on Saturday because she invited like 10. So there were 14 missionaries at her baptism, including....


Hermana Crockett! I got to see my trainer again!! (And thanks for the sweater Mom! Isn't it cute?) It was a very happy day for sure. I missed her a bunch.
Then the next day was Sunday. And I believe that it is now time to address a subject that I don't think I've had the courage to address up to this point. The subject is Okie talkers. Okie talkers are people from Oklahoma who talk a lot and don't filter too good. Basically whatever they think about they say. I think there should be an insert in Preach My Gospel for missionaries that are called to Oklahoma about "How to stop the Okie talker runaway train". It would be helpful. The best, though, is when you're translating Sacrament meeting like yours truly and you get an Okie talker... and then 30 minutes later your brain dies. If you ever would like to experience something like that, (don't know why you would) have someone start talking, wait a sentence, then start repeating what they say. Then imagine doing it in another language. It's a challenge. But like everything else on the mission, I love it!! It's a super great brain teaser and has already improved my Spanish.
This week we also had interviews from President Walkenhorst and he offered us all some advice.
He suggested that our purpose as missionaries is not just to find, teach, and baptize, but also to lift and edify everyone around us. He said that everyone should be better because we were there to lift them up. I don't think that this is something solely reserved for missionaries. I think that this is something we all can do. Perhaps make it a goal to make others feel better just because they were in our presence. That is what Christ would do. I promise that as we look outside ourselves we will be able to feel of the same joy that the Savior has as He serves those around Him!
Well I think this is sufficiently long and some of you have fallen asleep by now, but know that I love you and I hope all of you have a good week full of miracles and happiness!!
Con cariƱo,
Hermana Holloway
D&C 6:34-37

No comments:

Post a Comment