Monday, November 11, 2013

Is the place of records far??

Aloha, Hola, and Howdy from Oklahoma!!!! This week has been wonderful as usual and la obra misional keeps rolling forward! This week was definitely a week full of miracles.

Milagro #1: The Santos family were the only people in attendance at our English class on Tuesday, and they brought an investigator with them. Hna C and I were all prepared to teach English to them, but it turns out that he just wanted to be taught the gospel! He sought out the Santos's to learn more about the church so we taught him La Restauración and he said that he believed everything that we said and he wants to study the Book of Mormon!! It's so awesome to find those golden investigators. That was definitely a blessing.

Milagro #2: We visited a less active woman and read Elder Uchtdorf's talk from last conference and she said that she felt like it was written directly for her and that she'd come to church! Granted, she didn't actually come to church, but it's a step in the right direction considering at the last visit she said that there was no way she'd go to church.

Milagro #3: Halloween!! We had to be in by 5, so we (myself and my companion) had a crazy missionary party, which involved eating tacos and popcorn, marking our Spanish scriptures, and watching The Testaments 2.5 times (PS I'm convinced that that movie is the reason why returned missionaries flirt so awkwardly. Just watch it and you'll understand. Also that's the inspiration for the title. Kind of a running joke with me and my compa now). If you ever wonder what missionaries do on their nights off, that's it. I'm pretty sure some Elders in our district had a corn dog eating contest. Classy.

Milagro #4: WE HAD SUCH AN AMAZING LESSON WITH EDNA!!! We taught her the Plan de Salvación, which was great because she's super big on family so she loved the part about how families are eternal. Also, she already loves the Book of Mormon as much as the Bible! She said that people need to give it a chance and not just reject because she sees how the two go hand and hand. It was so awesome! I wish we had more investigators like her. Every time we visit her I just get so happy. 

Milagro #5: WE GOT REJECTED!!!! WOO HOO!!!! You're probably wondering why this is a miracle, but most Hispanics are too nice to tell us that they're not interested in the evangelio so we end up coming back and trying to talk to them again while they keep avoiding us. But this one guy told us outright to not knock on his door again! It was so great!! Yay for honesty!

Milagro #6: So on Saturday we were planning on going to Purcell to visit people there but the Spanish Elders called us about 30 minutes before we wanted to leave to tell us that they needed the car to pick up and Elder who had had to fly to California for some medical tests. Great. It was actually a blessing in disguise because we got the Santos's to drive us all the way down there, and they were able to connect so well with the people in ways that we couldn't have because we're white and missionaries aren't really people. For example, the woman who lives in the trailer park without speed bumps is really interested, but her husband is convinced that missionaries are just going around looking for wives to steal. Like seriously. Come on dude, get with the times. BUT when he was talking to Hno. Santos his attitude changed from "I'm good with my church I don't even want to talk to you" to "maybe I'll come to your church someday". So awesome!

Milagro #7: Fall in Oklahoma is beautiful. Some days it still gets up to 80 degrees and the leaves are just barely changing colors. So even though it's chillier than Hawaii, I will survive hey hey!!!

I can't believe that I've already been here for a month. We're almost done with the transfer! Time has just flown by, but I love it. The people here are great, the other missionaries are awesome, and I LOVE studying and feeling the Spirit all the time! There are so many blessings that come with living this life. A lot of sacrifices too, but that's where the blessings come from and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks to everyone who sent me mail. It always makes me feel loved and special :). And it helps so much to know that I have support from everyone back home. Being a missionary would seriously be so much harder without that. Thank you for the prayers too!

Also, everyone should read Alma 7. It's so amazing to see what Christ and His Atonement has done for all of us. I'm so grateful for the influence of the Atonement in my life and the knowledge that if I repent and live the Gospel that I can be forgiven of all of my sins and return to my Heavenly Father again. That's the essence and beauty of the message that we have for people. We want them to come unto Christ and repent and we do it because we love them, not because of any personal satisfaction or gain. I love this Gospel so much!! The church is true!!!

Love you all!

Hermana Holloway


Ashley Santos and I on Halloween. I'd figure out how to make it not sideways but soy floja.

My zone. Most of these missionaries are just in Norman. We're definitely blessed to have so many! And yes, Sister Sotelo is really that short.

No comments:

Post a Comment